Sunday, November 9, 2008

Experiments and Prototypes

Here is the actual press: The Kelsey Excelsior. It sits nicely on a Black and Decker Workmate and weighs about 85lbs. It is held together with a series of rods that I have discovered will shimmy out of place as I crank out prints! I managed to break the piece at the base of the handle when I pushed down too hard. Arg. Soon I'll have to get the part replaced or a new one made – for now it's held together with some nylon tape.


The first print job I did was for my mom. She goes into the homes of elderly or disabled folks, who can't get out, and she does their hair. The type was set with a combination of linotype slugs and some lead type I had. At the time I didn't have a plate made for the artwork so each of her cards (60+) I illustrated by hand. Here it is, very basic, some are a little crooked or off center. My first effort and a labour of love.


The next project was to produce a prototype for my greeting cards. I used a fabulous little vintage printers bit I got from Larry Thompson - I'm not sure what he is but half the fun has been in guessing! He's been quite a hit and will be  regular in my series. Leave a comment or send an email with your guess and I'll mail you one. Make sure to include your snail mail address...


With supplies and printing plates now in my studio I have a LOT of work to do! I'm in the middle of a set of invitations and tickets for a medieval-themed fundraiser for Canadian Organic Growers: A Most Excellent Midwinter's Feast. The artwork – designed by Chantal Lancaster – on the link is what will be on the front of the ticket. The learning curve is steep but I'm enjoying it! 

Cheers!
~Gina





1 comment:

  1. Yay! I've been waiting patiently to see your second post (it's in my 'diversions' folder at school). I love hearing about your press adventures. keep up the posts!

    ReplyDelete