Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dental work...

UPDATE.... thanks to my friend Stephanie I have found a company that took one look at this photo and told me that they are able to repair that gear. The contact she gave me – Richard at Capital Print –  answered my email even though he was on holidays. When he gets back next week I will take the gear to him and the rollers should be back anytime now, too. First job... my new business cards.

*************************

So my lovely, old press needs some work before I start using it. I want to be sure I am producing quality pieces -- and with the price of paper -- reducing waste with misprints. I shipped the rollers off to Graphic Roller, near Montreal, to have the rubber replaced. There were pretty chewed up, had served their time for sure. 

Now what I am searching for is a dentist... err... machine shop to fix this gear. It's missing a tooth and the bigger gear it connects with is missing about 3/4 of a tooth. Every 4 or 5 rotations of the flywheel those gaps meet and make a loud "THUNK"! Assuming that there will be times that I will print late in to the night, or at least the evening, I don't want to disturb the neighbours. No doubt the slipping won't make for good registration either!


So... can anyone recommend a machine shop? So far I have found only one place that might be able to do it. I have to take it over to them so they can see if it is something they can repair.

Thanks for stopping by!
~Gina


No comments:

Post a Comment